The project aims to empower municipal councils to become more effective and autonomous bodies, better able to withstand the executive’s influence, by properly fulfilling their constitutionally assigned roles of legislation, oversight and representation.
A series of activities are being carried out to help increase the transparency and accountability of mayors towards the councils, and of the municipalities towards their citizens, in order to improve the living conditions for all local communities.
- Increased capacities of 250-300 councilors (at least one-third of whom are women) in financial management and other core subjects through the Capacity Development Programme;
- Institutionalized e-knowledge platform available to all 1,347 councilors;
- Strengthened councilors’ role and performance in the municipal governance through adoption of at least one innovative measure for improved transparency, accountability and citizens’ participation in 24 municipalities;
- Mechanism for citizen participation in decision making (community and budget forums) utilized for setting community priorities in each of 24 municipalities;
- Municipal grants scheme supporting priority community projects implemented in 24 municipalities (50,000 CHF per municipality);
- Off-line and online network for cooperation and exchange of information and experience created in which one-fourth of all councilors participate.