6 Reduce child mortality
Where we are?
Further reduce the infant and under-five mortality rate; eliminate measles by 2015.
The infant mortality rate has reduced from 31.6 deaths per 1,000 live births in 1990 to 11.3 in 2003 and 10.3 in 2007. There has been a significant drop in measles to a single reported case in 2007, which is lower than the incidence rate in the EU. Immunization rates against measles exceeded the recommended rates and reached over 95%.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG4
- Reduce by two thirds the mortality rate among children under five
- Under-five mortality rate
- Infant mortality rate
- Proportion of 1 year-old children immunised against measles