6 Promote gender equality and empower women
Where we are?
Halving, by 2015, the proportion of women as unpaid family workers and reducing their inactivity rate by one third; double the proportion of women in governance.
Employment rates among women have increased slightly and the country is likely to miss this target. Meanwhile, the number of women in Parliament and in municipal councils has doubled or tripled. However, the number of women in ministerial and mayor positions is still low.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament