6 Achieve universal primary education
Where we are?
Ensure that, by 2015, all children will be able to complete a full course of primary and secondary schooling; eliminate gender disparities in both primary and secondary education, in all level by 2015.
Over 30% of students drop out of school before graduation from high school, with 11% dropping out by the end of primary school. Roma, Turkish and Albanian ethnic communities have higher drop-out rates. Gender disparities in primary education have been almost eliminated.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG2
- Ensure that, by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike, will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling
- Net enrolment ratio in primary education
- Proportion of pupils starting grade 1 who reach last grade of primary
- Literacy rate of 15-24 year-olds, women and men