This project is helping the municipalities of Gevgelija and Kumanovo to deal with the aftermath of the refugee crisis with a series of activities, including the construction of a new EU-standard landfill and the restoration of a drinking-water pumping station in Gevgelija.
In Kumanovo, UNDP focuses on the most-affected village of Tabanovce, where it will fix a local road and help repair a primary school. It also assists Kumanovo with introducing modern waste-management solutions,sorting facility for recycling, and the purchase of heavy-duty waste-management equipment for both municipalities.
- Increased community mobilization, social cohesion and resilience, and in the same time improved living conditions for 200,000 local residents;
- Strengthened National and local level crisis response coordination mechanisms;
- New landfill to be the first in the country to meet all the EU’s high waste-management standards for ‘sanitary landfills’;
- Purchase of new garbage trucks, bins and compacting equipment in Gevgelija and Kumanovo;
- Reconstruction of roads in Tabanovce and a schoolyard in Sopot in Kumanovo;
- Construction of flood-prevention infrastructure along the Lipkovska River in Kumanovo;
- Reconstruction of a pumping station for drinking water in Gevgelija.